Monday, July 4, 2016

And now for something completely different... Warbands

Several years ago I wanted to experiment with 10mm figures for WWII.  I ordered up some troops and vehicles from Pendraken Minatures and got to painting.  I was liking how it was going, but none of my buddies were willing to jump on board.  They were too invested in 15mm.  So I ended up scrapping the idea and sticking with 15mm.  Later I realized I may have had better success if I'd picked a diffent time period.  Then Pendraken Miniatures released their fantasy mass battle rules called Warband and I thought I'd give it a try.  I bought the rules last November at a convention and then started looking at the starter kits.  I later ordered a Hill Dwarf and Undead starter.

Taking a look at some of what other gamers were doing I then decided to buy some extra figures to spice up my units.  The first to finally hit the gaming table was my Hill Dwarf command stand.  It came with about five figures, so I add some wizards AND... a piper.  Yes, I saw a bag piper on their site for Dwarves and ordered several.  One can be seen below!


Since they are kind of small I decided to have color schemes to match up my armies.  The main colors for my Dwarves will be red and blue.  The king in the middle was given purple.  Some things I noticed while experimenting with 10mm is that your really need bright colors to make them stand out on the table.  Also, metal paints don't work so well in 10mm.  So you may notice that for all my metal parts like swords and armor I took a basic non-metalic metals approach.

Anyway, the 10mm experiment is pretty fun and fast.  I like the results and figures are full of character.  I look forward to finishing up these armies and having some big fantasy battles.

Rod

19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Fran. I must say they were pretty fun.

      Delete
  2. These are seriously good and so much fun! I wouldn't know where to begin on something so small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are. It's basically painting caricatures. Some guys have fists as big as their heads! But, it's charming and fun.

      Delete
  3. Spectacular and unexpected, excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. You could be slightly to blame with all your games in covering some many different periods! ;)

      Delete
  4. Excellent work! They make me smile real-big!

    ReplyDelete